Settling into Japan

As most of you know I have arrived in Japan! I am spending this year studying here at Keio University. I have now been here for a full day so I thought it was a good time to write a blog about getting all settled in! I spent most of yesterday, my first day, getting my room all set up and shopping for things I needed. For most people this wouldn't take a whole day, but since half the time I was wandering the streets trying to figure out which way to go and where things are in the store, it took a bit longer than usual. I will post a longer blog about shopping in Japan later when I know more of the language! So far, I love every little thing about Japan. The food is delicious, everyone is very helpful, and things are relatively easy to find (I say relatively since I am so directionally challenged). I have been using a lot of Janglish (yes, I made that up, but I think it works). I try to use as much Japanese as I can, but when I can't think of the word or people look at me confused, I throw some English in there hoping they will then understand. There has also been a lot of pointing. I'll ask someone "where is this store?" and they just say "farther" and point in a direction. It will be nice when I am fluent enough to have a conversation about how to get places, but so far this is working out very well ^_^ So, my room. There was a lot of joking in my house that I was going to have to sleep with my feet out the door because I wouldn't fit in the room. I am glad to say that I am not that much of a giant and I can comfortably sleep with my whole body in the room! The room is actually very nice. A lot nicer than American dorm rooms, I am sad to say. 

It's a pretty narrow room, and the first time I walked in I felt like I was in a tunnel!

A small closet by my door for shoes and other miscellaneous items

My little washer. I couldn't figure out how to use it, but when one of the ladies who works here came up to help me we realized my water pipe for it wasn't on. Good one Taylor, real smart.

My little toilet room. Literally the smallest room ever!

Shower area. I am still getting used to the fact that you don't have to stand in the tub to shower. Every time I get in I feel like I'm going to flood the room if I don't stand in the tub!

Sink area. It's so nice to have this in my room! 

My bed! It's pretty hard, but since I don't think I have moved at all the past few nights I would say it is very nice.

Desk and cupboard area.

I have this gigantic fridge! I don't really have anything to put in it, so right now it's only purpose is to hold all my decorations ^_^

The view from my room. Not the prettiest, but still pretty darn cool!

So there you have it, the tour of my room! My dad is right, it does only take about 4 steps to cover the whole place, but it is so nice I don't even care! I think I can definitely get used to sitting in my little room, drinking lemon tea,
 and blogging about all my cool experiences!


Cheers to all my friends back in America! Especially the ones who gave me this cup, which is the only dish I own right now! See you next time with another Japanese adventure!

P.S. Sorry for the lack of instagram posts, I am still trying to figure out my cell phone!







Comments